All Advanced Care Physical Therapists are trained in the Graston Technique®. This is an innovative, patented form of instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization that enables clinicians to effectively break down scar tissue and fascial restrictions. The technique utilizes specially designed stainless steel instruments to specifically detect and effectively treat areas exhibiting soft tissue fibrosis or chronic inflammation, which affect normal function.
The Graston Technique® is an interdisciplinary treatment used by more than 10,000 clinicians worldwide – including physical and occupational therapists, hand therapists, chiropractors, and athletic trainers.
How Does the Graston Technique® Work? The Graston Technique®:
- Separates and breaks down collagen cross-links, and splays and stretches connective tissue and muscle fibers.
- Increases skin temperature.
- Facilitates reflex changes in the chronic muscle holding pattern.
- Alters spinal reflux activity (facilitated segment).
- Increases the rate and amount of blood flow to and from the area.
- Increases cellular activity in the region, including fibroblasts and mast cells.
- Increases histamine response secondary to mast cell activity.